In the past if a metal effect plastic part was required then a secondary process was needed. This could be electro-plating, painting or vacuum-metallizing depending upon the part and the application. This is now about to change with the introduction of the Celanese MetaLX ™ range of polymers.
This new range of metal-effect polymers are available in Acetal, Polyester and Polyester Elastomer. Apart from the standard unfilled grades there are also glass-reinforced and flame retardant glass-reinforced grades. Apart from a polished finish to the plastic moulding it is also possible to achieve a matt (to simulate brushed metal finish) or textured finish as with conventional mouldings.
The MetaLX ™ range of polymers from Celanese can enable designers and manufacturers to reduce costs by eliminating secondary operations such as painting and plating along with the associated preparation and add-on costs. These polymers are also more environmentally friendly as they eliminate the use of chemical pollutants associated with the normal secondary operations.
The major advantages are:
- Excellent mechanical performance.
- Retention of colour after UV and thermal exposure.
- Beautiful surface appearance and textures.
- Resistance to stains, scratches and most chemicals and cleaners.
- Match, or complement, mating metal parts.
- Stay non-thermally conductive and fingerprint resistant unlike metal.
- Do not show tendency towards stress cracking.
Rutland Plastics has moulded its coaster in one of the MetaLX ™ acetal grades. If you would like one of these coaster samples please contact us using the Free Advice form.