Rutland Plastics Aerial Photos
The Rutland Plastics Aerial photos clearly shows the size of the Rutland Plastics factory site following the completion of the redevelopment. In the foreground to the left is the new warehouse complete with 900 PV panels.
Rutland Plastics was established in January 1956 by Ron Smart and Don Ansell. The company started with two moulding machines on a site just 200 metres from todays' site.
Like many new ventures, there were sacrifices that had to be made to get things started. The two owners sold their cars to raise the money to pay for those first machines. Even moving into their new factory was not straightforward. The original building was an old corn mill and the millstone had to be removed to make room for the moulding machines. In 2000 Rutland Plastics bought the next-door Coats Viyella factory. Although there were no specific plans to develop the site at that stage, this purchase opened the possibility of future expansion without the need to move. In 2015 work commenced on a new 30,000 square feet warehouse. Following its completion at the end of the year, plans were put in place to move the toolroom to the old warehouse, along with the maintenance department. This would not only mean an enlarged toolroom making it possible to manufacture more mould tools in-house, but also free up space in the production area which would permit a more efficient layout and provide room for additional moulding machines in the future.
The engineering department containing the new expanded toolroom can be seen in the foreground of this picture showing the rear of the factory.
The Rutland Plastics factory can be seen in the foreground of this shot that also shows Rutland Water at the background. We are lucky to be located in such a beautiful part of the country yet conveniently situated for the A1 and wider motorway network.